Sunday, April 02, 2006

They come running just as fast as they can

I'm loving making my Minisweater. I keep imagining wearing it over a light tank in the summertime when I get back home. Behold, after starting yesterday afternoon, here was the progress last night:


And yes, the colour is so off I cannot believe it. It's really not blue at all - more like the green seen here. I love it. And I think this is just the right project for this yarn. It's about a million different plies that come apart at the ends, so it's a good thing this is a) seamless and b) that I'm weaving in all the ends as I go. The texture is hard to describe. If you've ever knit with Red Heart Supersaver (unclean! unclean!), you may have noticed that this single plastic ply is a bit irregular in width and feels roughly textured. Well, Frederika (I just realized I hadn't mentioned the name of the yarn!) is similar. Except it's not irregular in width, it just has the same some of bumpy texture as it slides through your fingers. In a nice way, like going with the grain on corduroy feels.

Yeah, my descriptions suck.

The fabric has a chenille-y look to it. I love this, because it's got that rich depth of colour without having to knit with chenille! Yay!

So, I suppose the pertinent question is, which button to close it with? Well, you know what any smart girl would do. She would knit up the sweater, after making a careful gauge swatch. Then, after blocking and allowing the sweater to dry, she would bring the knitted item to the store to pick out one single, incredibly appropriate button, that would both blend in and stand out.

I am not a smart girl.

I did not swatch. (Somehow I am still getting Stephanie Japel's gauge. This astounds and astonishes me.) I had not started the sweater. I didn't even bring any yarn to the store with me. Did that stop me from buying lots of buttons? Come on now, I am my mother's daughter. Of course I bought buttons!
The big ole green one is for the boobholder. (Oh, come on now. I know my dad is probably freaking out a little bit here. But when you have the choice between minisweater and boobholder, which would you choose? And minisweater connotes cropping to me. Eeeeek! Cropped sweaters!) The pewter ones are for my cardigan of my design. Adorable, aren't they? Yeah, I have no idea whether they'll fit. But they're adorable, and I'm saving the receipt, and also they look like you could transfer the design into a really bitchin' circular lace shawl.

In other news, I've joined Use What You Have Month (via Emmie). I buy way too many craft supplies. So even though I bought the above buttons yesterday (April 1) I am now officially buying no craft supplies this month! Go me!

Besides, I only have two more days of classes. Then EXAMS. so scared. But luckily crafts help keep me sane (when they're going well, that is. Like now. With the boobholder. tee hee). This was really a case of "shopping the stash" and I have to do that more often now!

So, I guess I'd better stop procrastinating and actually do some schoolwork. Au revoir!

2 Comments:

At 8:07 AM, Blogger K. said...

Good luck with your finals! And yes, boobholder sounds much better than mini sweater!

 
At 8:14 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

Wow, that was nice! I must admit I'm rather fond of Bernat Satin myself, because it's just so soft. It does have a tendency to split though, like you said.

I'm in the process of joining the flickr group - never used flickr before.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home