Sunday, March 12, 2006

Le sigh

Notes upon writing an essay about Johnny Depp for film studies class:


(click for clarity)

To quote Samuel L. Jackson, "ENGLISH, MOTHERFUCKER! DO YOU SPEAK IT?"

Is it just me, or does the phrase "the children have won golden tickets into Wonka's factory" sound really dirty? I even avoided using the word chocolate anywhere. Yup, I'm officially grossed out.

It's really creepy when you identify one of the key traits of the man people around the world drool over as consistently portraying childlike characters. (This is even excluding J. M. Barrie.) Think about it: Ed Wood's voice. Willy Wonka. Edward Scissorhands is just a baby, people!

If I throw in one more D'Onofrio (his Orson Welles is to die for), Wonka or Schwartzenegger, I think my spellcheck is going to commit ritual seppuku.

But it recognizes Sandra Bullock?

Oeuvre is a really really hard word to spell.

I had to watch Johnny Depp movies for this project, y'all. It was homework. I know, you're seething with jealousy. Anyway, was looking up quotes and found this:

Mike Teavee: Who wants a beard?
Willy Wonka: Well, beatniks for one, folk singers and motorbike riders. Y'know. All those hip, jazzy, super cool, neat, keen, and groovy cats. It's in the fridge, daddy-o! Are you hip to the jive? Can you dig what I'm layin' down? I knew that you could. Slide me some skin, soul brother!

Damn. That, along with the dolls at the beginning, make me weep, I swear. Oh, and the walking into the elevator. When my life stops being insane I'll have to rewatch this.

Oh! And the cannabalism joke. I quote that on an alarmingly high level.

Oh, and the flag museum. Dang.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home