Sunday, March 12, 2006

Slip sliding away

So! 'Twas my birthday on Thursday. It was perhaps not ideal (damn you, freezing rain! Damn yoooooooooooou!) but I still had some good times nonetheless. For one thing, I got a hair cut. I'm not going to post a before shot basically because a) they all look like crappy myspace photos, sans androgynous emo kid, and b) I got a haircut for a reason, duh. But after!

Hawt.

So, anyway, one of the things I did was go out to Wool N' Things in Orleans, because it's a high-end store an hour-long bus ride away so if I didn't go now I probably wouldn't ever go. It was nice but you know what? I really, really can't see myself ever buying Rowan or Debbie Bliss yarn now. It is SO goddam expensive (and this shop claimed to offer 10% off MSRP). I mean, around $7/ball is my upper limit unless it's something like socks where you only need one or two balls. And this stuff is sold in 50g balls at the most. Grrr. Anyway, I did get two nice things:


Tweedy purple Cascade Quatro, currently halfway through sock two of a pair of Thujas. Wondering what I was doing while I was balling (snicker) this hank?



New (sheep!) socks (from my aunt and uncle for my birthday) and Jon Stewart. And sock yarn. Deliriously happy much?

I also got 10 balls of this (bargain bin! $2/ball! Yay!) for a summer top. It's greener in person, almost emerald-y.


As for other stuff in my life, it's basically school school school oh god what am I going to do with this stupid degree if I ever get it because I hate this paper oh gawd teh angstzors. Maybe something more fun to discuss?

Ah yes, the topic I know the least about yet love to gab on and on about! You got it: music! All of a sudden there is a ton more music on my iPod. I lay the blame for this solely at the feet of The Royal Tenenbaums.


Damn, but that is a good movie. But I have to admit my feelings upon my first viewing could be summed up in four words: Double. You. Tee. Eff. But I've seen it two more times and like it more and more every time now, so that I'd count it among my favourite movies now. Anyway, it was the first time I'd ever heard Elliott Smith, and it really connected with me even the first time. (This time, when the guitar started up in the movie, I felt my entire body clench up, knowing what was about to happen.) Then, this time, I heard "Me and Julio Down by the Schoolyard," by Paul Simon, so I went off to a completely legal source of music and dl'd it. Then that sent me off on a search for songs from The Concert in Central Park. Then that reminded me of a Willie Nelson "Bridge Over Troubled Water" cover my brother sent me. Plus that cover of "Hey Jude" from the movie. Then Travis's screen name sent me off to find "Do You Believe in Magic?". And so on and so on. So without further ado, stuff you should listen to post-haste:

"9 to 5," Dolly Parton. I have this big theory on how this song is actually a Communist declaration that someday I will write up and post here. (I also think this about A Bug's Life. I mentioned that to my film studies TA, and he suggested the same for Dinosaur.)

Anything by Deirdre Flint. Hilarious. I first heard her through Cast-On, and am particularly fond of "The Boob Fairy" and "Cheerleader", though I really wish I could find "Presidential Succession."

"Do You Believe in Magic?", The Lovin' Spoonful. C'mon now, you know you like it. At the very least, you'll have this song stuck in your head for a few days before you give in. Mwahaha.

"Fever," Michael Buble. How much do I like this song? Like much of my generation, I can't listen to this song without thinking of Edna Krabappel. Popping balloons. Oh god. Here is Sarah's easy guide to getting past this:
  1. Close your eyes.
  2. Are they closed? Good. You are a liar. You can't read with your eyes closed. Try that one again and I will cut choo so bad you gonna wish I didn't cut choo so bad.
  3. OK, let's try this one: read ahead to the end, then do the instructions. We good? We good.
  4. Close your eyes.
  5. Think of Michael Buble.
  6. Think of Michael Buble singing this song.
  7. Ahhhh. There we go.
Seriously, I like this song so much I can even get past its invocation of Pocahontas and John Smith as romantic ideals. Am on the fence about several lines but like it generally as a whole. While you're at it, check out "You Must Have Been a Beautiful Baby".

"Happy Together," The Turtles. Just a happy song, plus now I can't listen to it without thinking of the flowers at the end of Adaptation.

"Hungry Like the Wolf," Duran Duran. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA seriously I like it HAHAHAHAHA... I mean, honestly, I can't even say the name without giggling.

Most any song from The Concert in Central Park, particularly "Kodachrome Maybellene", "Me and Julio Down by the Schoolyard", "Wake Up Little Susie" and especially "Late in the Evening"! I do my Snoopy dance when I listen to "Late in the Evening".

"Uptown Girl," by Westlife. Oh shut up. Yes, I know. Billy Joel. Covered by a Brit pop boy band. I know, okay? In my defence, the video has Ioan Griffudd and Crispin Bonham-Carter (aka Mr. Bingely) pretending to be rich a-holes, and I need something to exercise to.

"Daydream Believer," The Monkees. I DARE you to not like this song. I win.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home