Friday, March 02, 2007

consider my mind BLOWN

You know that there’s probably a doppelganger of you somewhere in the world. But it’s pretty odd to find them sitting next to you in film class. Today we were discussing the movie 32 Short Films About Glenn Gould, which is incidentally one of my favourite Canadian movies EVAR. If you don’t like the movie, or even Colm Feore in it, or even the music, you’re dead to me.

Anyway, Glenn Gould the person – not the character – is thought posthumously to have had Asperger Syndrome, which likely accounted for his numerous…eccentricities. And this fact is very interesting to me, for reasons that are soon to be revealed.

Previously, I’d made the point that the majority of males in Canadian cinema seem to be suffering from autism, which would really explain quite a lot. So I raised my hand today and said: “I don’t want to seem like a conspiracy theorist, but Gould’s thought to posthumously have been diagnosed with Asperger's…” and then blathered on about him and connections to other protagonists. Then a bit later a girl further along in my row raised her hand. She was about average height, with medium-long brown hair and glasses.

Her: “I just wanted to talk about what Sarah said, because I thought it was kind of interesting. I’m a Sarah too…”
Prof: “Well, we all think what Sarah says is 'special'.” [emphasis my own]
Her: “Well, I thought what she said about Asperger's was interesting, because my brother has Asperger's-”
Me: “Hey, mine too!”
Her: “Is his name Ian?”
Me: “No [giggling], it’s Liam!”
Entire class: “WTF, mate?”
Prof: [mock panic] “OK, let’s all go home now.”

1 Comments:

At 11:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

WTF indeed!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home