Thursday, December 08, 2005

Music-osity

I think I shall take a break from studying and begin what I hope will be a fairly regular event on this here blog. See, I did this swap at Craftster where you set your music player on shuffle then burn a CD of whatever comes up without leaving anything out. Most people claimed to be a little embarassed or surprised at what came up. So, for your edification, I offer an analysis of 10 random songs Windows Media Player spits out.

1. Can't Buy Me Love - The Beatles
Off of
1. This CD was my introduction to the Beatles. I just got it out of the library a few days ago to listen to it again. From this, I went to Revolver, which I promptly declared their best album. Then I heard Abbey Road. I still have yet to listen to Sgt. Pepper's. This is one of the classic pop Beatles songs, great for singing in the shower. Yet, to paraphrase Bart Simpson, despite everything going for it, the Michael Buble cover of it both sucks and blows.

2. All I Want For Christmas is You - Mariah Carey
Uh, yeah. I know. It's Mariah Carey. Despite the craziness and the cheesecake, apparently she was once just considered an awesome singer. And she does have a great voice. I used to have a serious objection to Christmas songs about love and stuff, but what can I say? Sometimes a girl's gotta have a swingin' ballad. I think I downloaded this song after seeing the little girl sing it in
Love Actually.

3. This Fire - Franz Ferdinand
I used to listen to this song a lot more. Nowadays I have a bit of trouble distinguishing between it and "This Fffire", the remix from the US bonus disc. There was a period a while back where I wasn't my usual self about music. Normally I am very, very picky about my music and I don't really expand my boundaries a lot. However, I got into both Franz Ferdinand and Michael Buble around the same time and got their CDs after listening to only one song each - "Take Me Out" and "I've Got You Under My Skin", respectively. My little brother bought me this CD for my 18th birthday.

4. El Condor Pasa (If I Could) - Simon & Garfunkel
Wow, this song hardly ever pops up and here it is for the second time today. It's not one of my favourite Simon & Garfunkel songs - I was going to mention those but it would be a big list - but it's pretty good. This is off their
Greatest Hits CD. I got into Simon & Garfunkel big time after listening to their live Concert in Central Park CD, and then seeing the special. They are one of the few bands I'd want to see live, and probably the only one I'd fork out $100 for a nosebleed seat. They're like the Stones - you always worry this tour's their last.

5. Shoebox - The Barenaked Ladies
Meh. This is off yet another greatest hits CD. However, this CD (
Disc One: All Their Greatest Hits 1991-2001) did get me into BNL, so I guess I should be glad for that. Speaking of which, did I mention I'm going to SEE the Barenaked Ladies in Vancouver! Yayyyyy!

6. I Want to Be Evil - Eartha Kitt
"Santa Baby" +
The Emperor's New Groove + the original Catwoman = awesomeness beyond compare. Plus, this song totally taps into my fears about my Catholic conscience (yes, despite not actually being Catholic. See post entitled "Music" for explanation). I downloaded this song after watching TENG most recently.

7. Do You Hear What I Hear? - Bing Crosby
I downloaded this in my recent frenzy for Christmas music. I now like Bing Crosby a lot more, because he was totally talented. Plus, he did a duet with
David Bowie (who can do no wrong in my mind)! Fierce.

8. A Hazy Shade of Winter - Simon & Garfunkel
In the same swap as I mentioned above, someone had this song in one of their CDs, and I'd never heard of it, so I downloaded it. It's ... interesting, certainly not what you'd expect from a Simon & Garfunkel song with that sort of title. It's faster, for one. The only other Simon & Garfunkel song I've ever heard that wasn't from their concert or greatest hits CD was "The Only Living Boy in New York", so I guess I was sort of expecting it to live up to that. Tough act to follow, I must admit.

9. Istanbul (Not Constantinople) - They Might Be Giants
YES. This song rocks. Silly and fun. I had this song quite some time ago and played it over and over again. Then I think it got deleted when the computer had a ridiculous amount of viruses. Recently I was talking with my cousin and somehow this song came up (he couldn't remember the name). I instantly knew what he was talking about and downloaded it a few days later. I can listen to this song over and over again.

10. Polythene Pam - The Beatles
This, more than any other song off the B-side of
Abbey Road, comes up a lot. I think that other than the obvious exception of "Here Comes the Sun", it works as a single song better than any of the others. This is another one I can sing or play over and over again until people beg me to quit it already.

Well, this was fun!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home